/LIVE: #StateCaptureInquiry to hear testimony from former ANN7 editor Rajesh Sundaram

LIVE: #StateCaptureInquiry to hear testimony from former ANN7 editor Rajesh Sundaram

2019-06-03 10:00

The former editor of one-time Gupta-owned TV news channel ANN7, Rajesh Sundaram, is expected to testify when the judicial commission of inquiry into allegations of state capture resumes.

WATCH LIVE: State Capture Inquiry 

(Courtesy of SABC)

Raymond Zondo chairs the state capture inquiry

LIVE NEWS FEED

Jump to
bottom

Last Updated at
10:29







ICYMI: 

Former ANN7 editor to testify at state capture inquiry 

The former editor of TV news channel ANN7, Rajesh Sundaram, is expected to testify when the commission of inquiry into allegations of state capture resumes on Monday.

Sundaram is also the author of Indentured – Behind the Scenes at Gupta TV, which detailed former president Jacob Zuma’s direct hand in the creation of the now defunct news channel.

In the tell-all book, he also detailed how Gupta lieutenants fraudulently handed South African jobs to Indian nationals.

It was published in March 2018.

Sundaram arrived in the country shortly after the Guptas’ infamous Sun City wedding six years ago and was appointed the editor of Infinity Media Networks, ANN7’s official name.


ICYMI: 

Transnet paid Gupta-linked Trillian R93m for no work done, inquiry told 

Trillian Capital partners was paid R93m by Transnet for being a lead arranger of a R12bn club loan. However, the firm had no role to play in securing the deal, the state capture commission of inquiry heard.

The commission, chaired by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, on Friday heard evidence from Jonathan Bloom of MNS Attorneys. In 2018 the firm was asked to probe allegations of fraud and irregularities by Transnet’s former board. The firm produced six investigative reports. Bloom provided evidence pertaining to one of the reports which he helped compile regarding the financing of Transnet’s 1064 locomotive project.

As far back as 2012, Transnet had tendered for manufacturers of 1 064 locomotives, needed to replace the ageing fleet and to bolster the fleet capacity to keep up with market demand, the inquiry previously heard. 


ICYMI: 

Regiments earned an ‘excessive’ R265.5m from Transnet, inquiry hears 

Advisory firm Regiments Capital earned an “excessive” R265.5m from Transnet to facilitate loan transactions for the state freight and rail entity to finance its 1064 locomotive project, the state capture commission of inquiry heard.

On Friday the commission, chaired by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, heard evidence from Jonathan Bloom of MNS Attorneys. In 2018 the firm was asked to probe allegations of fraud and irregularities by Transnet’s former board. The firm produced six investigative reports. Bloom provided evidence pertaining to one of the reports, which he helped compile.

As far back as 2012, Transnet had tendered for manufacturers of 1 064 locomotives, needed to replace the ageing fleet and to bolster the fleet capacity to keep up with market demand, the inquiry previously heard.


ICYMI: 

Transnet forensic investigators confident of successful prosecutions 

A firm that conducted forensic investigations into Transnet says there is a good chance of successful prosecution of those implicated in acts of wrongdoing.

According to Mncedisi Ndlovu, the Chairman of Mncedisi Ndlovu & Sedumedi (MNS) Attorneys, the firm is working with law enforcement agencies to recover funds misappropriated from Transnet, in what they described as grand scale corruption.

“Our mandate is to recover whatever money that has been lost to corruption back to Transnet,” said Ndlovu on the sidelines of the Zondo Commission into State Capture.


ICYMI: 

‘Unlawfulness’ in Transnet’s 1 064 train tender, inquiry hears 

There was unlawfulness in the request for proposals issued by Transnet for 1 064 locomotives, the state capture inquiry has heard.

The inquiry, which has been holding hearings on allegations of fraud and corruption at several state entities since August 2018, heard from Tshiamo Sedumedi of MNS Attorneys on Tuesday. MNS compiled six investigative reports into Transnet, it was asked to probe allegations of irregularities by the state-owned entity’s previous board.

In his testimony, Sedumedi shared evidence that there was unlawfulness in the request for proposals were issued, that there were changes introduced in the bid evaluation process and that the estimated total cost of the project increased from R38.6bn stated in the business case to R54bn. 


ICYMI: 

State capture inquiry hears Transnet execs could keep tenders secret 

Judge Raymond Zondo, the chair of the state capture inquiry, expressed surprise on Friday when he heard that top executives at state-owned freight rail company Transnet could choose to keep tenders secret up until they were awarded.

The inquiry is investigating allegations of state capture, corruption and fraud. 

Peter Volmink, Transnet’s executive head of governance, testified that when a Transnet contract was classified as confidential it could bypass much of the usual oversight process. 

“It’s quite a strange thing in a state-owned entity – somebody who says there are certain contracts which will be regarded as confidential, but we are not saying which ones. What are the criteria for confidentiality? asked Zondo. “[The contracts] could entail a lot of taxpayers money.” 


ICYMI: 

State Capture Inquiry: Booysen details Gupta visit in a Rolls Royce 

Former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks head Johan Booysen has detailed how Duduzane Zuma, son of former president Jacob Zuma, drove him to the Gupta family home in a Rolls Royce.

Testifying before the judicial commission of inquiry into state capture on Friday, Booysen told deputy chief justice Raymond Zondo that he received a call from Duduzane Zuma, who asked to meet him at the Gautrain station in Sandton.

Booysen said he asked his son, Eben to accompany him. The former KZN Hawks head said when he met with Duduzane Zuma, he drove with him in the Rolls Royce while his son followed them in his Toyota Corolla. 

Booysen testified that they unexpectedly ended up at the Gupta compound in Saxonwold in Johannesburg. 


ICYMI: 

#StateCaptureInquiry: TNA and ANN7 were punished for reporting on ‘white collar corporate capture’ – Manyi 

Former head of the Government Communication and Information System (GCIS) Mzwanele Manyi says The New Age (TNA) newspaper and its sister news channel ANN7 were “punished” for reporting on “white collar corporate capture”.

Manyi bought TNA and ANN7 from the Gupta family in 2017. The media companies went under about a year later.

Appearing before the state capture commission of inquiry on Monday, Manyi said the media units were “punished” by the private sector – whose role players “hunt like a pack” – because they offered an alternative voice to the mainstream media. 

Manyi said it was a “tragedy” that about 500 people lost their jobs when TNA and ANN7 closed. He said that when he took over the media units in 2017, he came into a loss-making organisation. He said it was “already bleeding, something like R5m per month”.

Original Source