Follow our live update for the latest news, research and information on coronavirus in South Africa and around the world.
Last Updated at
HEALTH TIPS (as recommended by the NICD and WHO)
• Avoid contact with people who have respiratory infections
• Maintain social distancing – stay at least one metre away from somebody who is coughing or sneezing
• Practise frequent hand-washing, especially after direct contact with ill people or their environment
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, as your hands touch many surfaces and could potentially transfer the virus
• Practise respiratory hygiene – cover your mouth with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Remember to dispose the tissue immediately after use.
WHO declares a pandemic
The head of the WHO has warned that the organisation expects the number of coronavirus cases, deaths and number of affected countries to climb even higher, after declaring the virus a pandemic.
“We are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction,” said Tedros Ghebreyesus, adding pandemic was not a word to use lightly or carelessly.
“It is a word that, if misused, can cause unreasonable fear, or unjustified acceptance that the fight is over, leading to unnecessary suffering and death.”
However, he warned the WHO had not seen a pandemic before that could be controlled.
“We cannot say this loudly enough, or clearly enough, or often enough: All countries can still change the course of this pandemic.”